Item: 1 LA Times entertainment section
I wondered this week, for the first time, why it is that I even read the entertainment section. If you've never seen the LA Times entertainment section, it's largely ads - and I do mean largely - full-page movie ads, one after another, and some related articles. I have always looked through it at least because it's where the comics are. But given that I have so little interest in movies, directors, actors, or the like, I could probably just skip it.
I'm becoming increasingly tired of the overlap of Hollywood culture with my life. But I always find myself tempering this reaction, because it implicates some people who I like as people, who believe in what they're doing.
I learned, via one of last week's entertainment sections, that there's a movie coming out called Nativity, which is the movie version of Luke Chapter 2. My heart sank at this, because I really couldn't imagine it being anything other than horrible. I don't care how hard they worked to make it look authentic. I don't care what the director's credentials are. I've heard the music, and I've seen the trailer: "One family. One journey. One child who would change the world. Forever." It looks to me like cheap dramatics through and through, and who needs this? Who needs a movie version of a story that's already perfect?
In a room full of writers, I can bash the movies anytime I want, and talk freely about the ways in which a movie cannot add anything to a story, it can only take away from it. But in most other social environments, I feel the need to play nice. I don't generally like to stomp on other people's enthusiasms (and I expect the same in return). This requires that socially, I mostly do not say what I think about movies in general and movies in particular. This doesn't mean that I don't ever like movies or think that some are good, but I just don't share the assumption that the movies are Absolutely The Most Important Communications Venue in Our Culture and thus must be honored above all else. So I wind up feeling like I've been untrue to myself by playing along in a conversation with people who believe this, as if I agree.
I used the word overlap deliberately. I love LA more and more, but I grow more and more weary of all things Hollywood. In a way you might say I live in the wrong city, but in a way I don't. LA is much more than Hollywood; it's just that you can't ever totally separate it either.
I'm becoming increasingly tired of the overlap of Hollywood culture with my life. But I always find myself tempering this reaction, because it implicates some people who I like as people, who believe in what they're doing.
I learned, via one of last week's entertainment sections, that there's a movie coming out called Nativity, which is the movie version of Luke Chapter 2. My heart sank at this, because I really couldn't imagine it being anything other than horrible. I don't care how hard they worked to make it look authentic. I don't care what the director's credentials are. I've heard the music, and I've seen the trailer: "One family. One journey. One child who would change the world. Forever." It looks to me like cheap dramatics through and through, and who needs this? Who needs a movie version of a story that's already perfect?
In a room full of writers, I can bash the movies anytime I want, and talk freely about the ways in which a movie cannot add anything to a story, it can only take away from it. But in most other social environments, I feel the need to play nice. I don't generally like to stomp on other people's enthusiasms (and I expect the same in return). This requires that socially, I mostly do not say what I think about movies in general and movies in particular. This doesn't mean that I don't ever like movies or think that some are good, but I just don't share the assumption that the movies are Absolutely The Most Important Communications Venue in Our Culture and thus must be honored above all else. So I wind up feeling like I've been untrue to myself by playing along in a conversation with people who believe this, as if I agree.
I used the word overlap deliberately. I love LA more and more, but I grow more and more weary of all things Hollywood. In a way you might say I live in the wrong city, but in a way I don't. LA is much more than Hollywood; it's just that you can't ever totally separate it either.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home