07 March 2006

Item: 1 LA Times calendar section

My friend Dr. RSB gets credit for turning me into a true comics reader.  The comics page is perfect morning reading for someone like me who wakes up slowly and reluctantly.  Morning is no time for engaging my mind with articles.  Morning is the time to giggle at goofy square-headed characters while eating some toast or something.  If a person hypothetically happens to be going through a phase where she can't seem to get up on time, she ends up having to read the comics in the evening, which is just not the same.

My favorites are:

1. Get Fuzzy - a cat and a dog and a guy, plus this strip is a constant source of good insults.

2. Boondocks - almost always smart and almost always funny, and it's now also a television show.  I can't comment on the show, since I've never seen it, but I don't exactly have a desire to hear the Freemans talking in animated-tv voices.

3. Dilbert - though it's inconveniently located in the business section, not with the rest of the comics.

And least favorites (harder to explain why, since I, um, don't read these):

1. Rex Morgan, MD - I'm assuming this is about a doctor.  In today's episode, he is preparing to play golf.

2. Heathcliff - today Heathcliff is playing a tuba, which, according to the caption, won't get him in to see the doctor any quicker.  I don't get it.

3. Doonesbury - I know, I know, a lot of people like this one, but even when I can see what it's doing and acknowledge that there's maybe a sort of humor to it, I always feel like I'm the one doing the work to make it funny.  I don't like being put in that position, especially first thing in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home