Item: 1 small pile of dishes on the counter
How unfair is it that no matter where you live, or how often you eat there, there are always dishes that need to get done? Somehow I always think that having a new place will eliminate some of the old work. But this never seems to happen.
I understand that the Winter Olympics ended or are ending tonight. The person everybody seemed to want to be picking on yesterday was the skier Bode Miller. Granted, his performance was less than inspiring, and granted, he didn't seem to care much about it, and further granted, he pretty much appeared to be a category jerk.
Nonetheless, my sympathies are entirely on his side when I hear narration like this from NBC:
"He's leaving via the traditional route, to avoid the press, but we caught up with him...Andrea?" (or whatever the reporter's name was). This is said with such pride. Why do they never get that insisting on interviewing somebody who doesn't want to be interviewed is, umm rude? Disrespectful? Insulting? Certainly nothing to be bragging about. Nobody has a moral obligation to answer questions on television if he doesn't want to.
The NBC staff appeared to be taking Miller's shortcomings quite personally, for some reason. Later, they had Tom Brokaw sitting there with him and detailing the list of failures for him, as if he were giving a play-by-play of his wounded heart. I don't quite get why they had such great expectations of Bode Miller to begin with. I'm not sure winning some medals would have added to his appeal even in the best-case scenario.
Take, for example, someone like Apolo Anton Ohno, whose hotness factor has in no way decreased over the last 4 years and is interesting to listen to as well. NBC fawned over him like crazy, but that at least made sense.
I understand that the Winter Olympics ended or are ending tonight. The person everybody seemed to want to be picking on yesterday was the skier Bode Miller. Granted, his performance was less than inspiring, and granted, he didn't seem to care much about it, and further granted, he pretty much appeared to be a category jerk.
Nonetheless, my sympathies are entirely on his side when I hear narration like this from NBC:
"He's leaving via the traditional route, to avoid the press, but we caught up with him...Andrea?" (or whatever the reporter's name was). This is said with such pride. Why do they never get that insisting on interviewing somebody who doesn't want to be interviewed is, umm rude? Disrespectful? Insulting? Certainly nothing to be bragging about. Nobody has a moral obligation to answer questions on television if he doesn't want to.
The NBC staff appeared to be taking Miller's shortcomings quite personally, for some reason. Later, they had Tom Brokaw sitting there with him and detailing the list of failures for him, as if he were giving a play-by-play of his wounded heart. I don't quite get why they had such great expectations of Bode Miller to begin with. I'm not sure winning some medals would have added to his appeal even in the best-case scenario.
Take, for example, someone like Apolo Anton Ohno, whose hotness factor has in no way decreased over the last 4 years and is interesting to listen to as well. NBC fawned over him like crazy, but that at least made sense.

1 Comments:
K,
You've got our vote to cover the Olympics next time around. Shall we write to NBC?
C & C
Post a Comment
<< Home