Item: 2 crutches
Here we are at this again. I keep telling myself that I need to decide what to do about my knee: either decide to have surgery or decide not to, but decide something. But, as I've said, making a decision also makes it possible for me to be doing the wrong thing.
It would be a much easier decision if I were in constant pain, but the fact is, it doesn't bother me all that much right now. Or have I just gotten used to it? I can go sometimes for a couple of weeks and it'll be just about fine, but then something happens and it's not again.
Let's say I did have surgery. Then I'd have to decide among a few different recovery options. More decisions, and it all seems so overwhelming. This is all about uncertainty, and it's not like I could go get any more information that's not already available to me. The only way to find out if it will help is to try it.
Having surgery seems like it has more potential to turn out to be a bad thing, if it turns out the problem is not that serious or fixable. Plus, who really wants to be cut open? It actually seems wiser to me to wait until there's an obvious need for it, but then I'm afraid I'm just taking the easy way out. I don't think I am, actually - I think if it were only fear, I would have chosen to just get it over with by now. I'm surprised, though, because this isn't the decision I thought I'd end up with. And maybe it isn't. At least the option of surgery probably isn't going to go away.
I spent most of this afternoon watching the BBC/A&E version of Pride and Prejudice (the 6-hour one) with the girls, which was fun. Maybe the girls part goes without saying. Who else would you watch Pride and Prejudice with? I think I'm in the minority, in that I have no problem paying attention to a slow British story for that long--if it's good, that is. I, in fact, would welcome more long and subtle entertainment, but I'm not likely to get it (except, maybe, by moving to England).
It would be a much easier decision if I were in constant pain, but the fact is, it doesn't bother me all that much right now. Or have I just gotten used to it? I can go sometimes for a couple of weeks and it'll be just about fine, but then something happens and it's not again.
Let's say I did have surgery. Then I'd have to decide among a few different recovery options. More decisions, and it all seems so overwhelming. This is all about uncertainty, and it's not like I could go get any more information that's not already available to me. The only way to find out if it will help is to try it.
Having surgery seems like it has more potential to turn out to be a bad thing, if it turns out the problem is not that serious or fixable. Plus, who really wants to be cut open? It actually seems wiser to me to wait until there's an obvious need for it, but then I'm afraid I'm just taking the easy way out. I don't think I am, actually - I think if it were only fear, I would have chosen to just get it over with by now. I'm surprised, though, because this isn't the decision I thought I'd end up with. And maybe it isn't. At least the option of surgery probably isn't going to go away.
I spent most of this afternoon watching the BBC/A&E version of Pride and Prejudice (the 6-hour one) with the girls, which was fun. Maybe the girls part goes without saying. Who else would you watch Pride and Prejudice with? I think I'm in the minority, in that I have no problem paying attention to a slow British story for that long--if it's good, that is. I, in fact, would welcome more long and subtle entertainment, but I'm not likely to get it (except, maybe, by moving to England).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home