02 March 2006

Item: 1 white pawn

I should confess that I don't really understand chess.  It takes patience to learn, as well as substantial cerebral concentration.  In other areas, I can keep track of 10 or 12 lines of thought at once, but for some reason remembering what each kind of piece can and can't do, and trying to strategize based on that many factors, is beyond me.  Of course, I've tried learning chess only about 3 or 4 times in my life, so maybe I just gave up too easily.

This chess piece is a little heavy and is lined on the bottom with green felt, which I imagine makes a pleasant muffled sound when one is playing the game with it.  We had a chess set when I was a kid, but the pieces were made of clear blue and black plastic.  This looks more grown-up.

I do know that the pawn is the least important piece, or maybe the least powerful piece is a better way to say it.  At least, I know what a pawn is when this word is applied to a life situation.  However, if I understand correctly, a pawn that crosses the board can actually become something else.

The following type of messages are coming at me a lot lately, and I'm sure there are reasons for it.  Go For It.  Just Do It.  Carpe Diem.  Those kind.   People, including me, can know for a long time what the right thing is to do without seeming to be able to do it.  People, including me, can dream of doing a lot of things they never actually do.  A wise person remarked recently that the game can't start until the first pawn moves.  I am going somewhere with this, I think, but maybe not via the most direct route.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I linked to you for David Foster Wallace post, but I love this entry. Similar thoughts are occuring to me too lately.

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. i hate when i post a comment, and there is a typo. for your DFW post, that is.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home