Item: 1 ant
Monday night we had a heck of a rainstorm here. It doesn't usually rain so hard or so long - I kept waking up and wondering if it was for real. Tuesday morning, I discovered that a whole bunch of ants had come into my bathroom in the night and were walking back and forth in a line across the floor. Now that it's dry outside, they appear to have all gone home, except for this one straggler. I'm going to try to caulk up where I think they were coming from before it starts raining again, as is forecasted for later this week.
Everyone I've mentioned the ants to has been appalled, but if I have to have a household pest, I think ants are by far the best possible option. My old place sometimes had ants, too, only they were in the kitchen, which was much worse.
=
Today is Ash Wednesday, which marks the beginning of Lent. This day always makes me think of this TS Eliot poem. It's a rich and shadowy poem full of images, which can mean what they mean according to where I am at the time. There's a lot in it about turning - as in turning to God, or turning away from God - and about stairs. It makes me think of a spiral staircase, where the poet looks back down and sees how he turned and when.
To me, the poem is basically about the struggle of trying to keep a true faith. There's a line near the end that separates the faith from what it can become: affirm before the world and deny between the rocks. This is why I appreciate the ritual of Lent. The next 40 days can go by with me doing only the things I always do, or I can gravitate back to the needs of the soul, the truth, the sacrifice.
Everyone I've mentioned the ants to has been appalled, but if I have to have a household pest, I think ants are by far the best possible option. My old place sometimes had ants, too, only they were in the kitchen, which was much worse.
=
Today is Ash Wednesday, which marks the beginning of Lent. This day always makes me think of this TS Eliot poem. It's a rich and shadowy poem full of images, which can mean what they mean according to where I am at the time. There's a lot in it about turning - as in turning to God, or turning away from God - and about stairs. It makes me think of a spiral staircase, where the poet looks back down and sees how he turned and when.
To me, the poem is basically about the struggle of trying to keep a true faith. There's a line near the end that separates the faith from what it can become: affirm before the world and deny between the rocks. This is why I appreciate the ritual of Lent. The next 40 days can go by with me doing only the things I always do, or I can gravitate back to the needs of the soul, the truth, the sacrifice.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home