Item: 1 plateful of chicken with couscous
So I made chicken and couscous for dinner tonight, one of the few times that cooking has not made me forget about the disasters of the day. It certainly smells good, though. The thing about survival mode is that a person is forced to be so focused on the present, at the expense of long view that's supposed to orient him.
I'm making goals for myself all the time: on my birthday, at New Year's, on vacations, or anytime things seem messy and can be clarified with a list of action items. But these are almost always short-term goals, in the sense that they're meant to address a problem or a need or a lack that I've identified.
I don't have a lot of goals that are goals just because they're things I want to do. I can't automatically produce a list of things I want to do before I die, for example, which is strange, because there are tons of things I would like to do. There's a website called 43 Things where people can post their goals and connect with other people trying to do the same things. It's fun to visit every so often, and also inspiring, because I think all goals are an expression of hope.
When I first discovered this website and decided to make my own list of 43 things I wanted to do in my lifetime, it was surprisingly difficult to come up with any. I could think of plenty of things that would have been on the list had I not already done them. I could think of plenty of things I might like to do, if presented with the right opportunities, but was unwilling to commit to. I could think of plenty of things that sounded good on paper but on second thought couldn't truthfully say that I wanted to do.
The only thing I could come up with that for sure belonged on the list was that I want to see the Northern Lights. As it turns out, this is #4 on the list of today's most popular goals (though that could change by tomorrow). At least I've got company.
I'm making goals for myself all the time: on my birthday, at New Year's, on vacations, or anytime things seem messy and can be clarified with a list of action items. But these are almost always short-term goals, in the sense that they're meant to address a problem or a need or a lack that I've identified.
I don't have a lot of goals that are goals just because they're things I want to do. I can't automatically produce a list of things I want to do before I die, for example, which is strange, because there are tons of things I would like to do. There's a website called 43 Things where people can post their goals and connect with other people trying to do the same things. It's fun to visit every so often, and also inspiring, because I think all goals are an expression of hope.
When I first discovered this website and decided to make my own list of 43 things I wanted to do in my lifetime, it was surprisingly difficult to come up with any. I could think of plenty of things that would have been on the list had I not already done them. I could think of plenty of things I might like to do, if presented with the right opportunities, but was unwilling to commit to. I could think of plenty of things that sounded good on paper but on second thought couldn't truthfully say that I wanted to do.
The only thing I could come up with that for sure belonged on the list was that I want to see the Northern Lights. As it turns out, this is #4 on the list of today's most popular goals (though that could change by tomorrow). At least I've got company.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home