Item: 1 Golden Bear dome tent
This tent came from a clearance shelf at a Santa Barbara sporting goods store about 12 years ago. I have since taken it camping in at least the following places: Santa Cruz, the Badlands, Niagara Falls, Virginia Beach, the Outer Banks, Seneca Rocks, Lake Erie, the Shenandoahs, Zelienople, PA, Assateague Island, and the Grand Canyon. More, maybe, that I'm not thinking of.
It's not too big and not too small; it has a little hanging pocket for your glasses or keys; it rolls up into something lightweight and portable. There isn't anything about it that doesn't seem right. It can go for long stretches of time without my using it, but it would still end up on the list of, say, my 10 most important possessions. Maybe 5. Having a tent is central to who I am. The knowledge that I can go camping anytime I want makes me secretly giddy. After 12 years, I'm still excited about it.
It's not too big and not too small; it has a little hanging pocket for your glasses or keys; it rolls up into something lightweight and portable. There isn't anything about it that doesn't seem right. It can go for long stretches of time without my using it, but it would still end up on the list of, say, my 10 most important possessions. Maybe 5. Having a tent is central to who I am. The knowledge that I can go camping anytime I want makes me secretly giddy. After 12 years, I'm still excited about it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home