16 August 2006

Item: 1 CD - The Rocky Mountain Collection, by John Denver

I listen to John Denver at regular intervals.  The intervals aren't regular in that I set out to listen to this music at certain times.  But inevitably there just comes a time when I'm glancing over my CDs and this is the one that jumps out at me.

The reason for this is most clear in the 1st song on the 2nd disc, which is called "Fly Away" and has these lines:
Life in the city can make you crazy
For sounds of the sand and the sea
Life in a high-rise can make you hungry
For things that you cant even see
This, at certain times, seems to clarify precisely what's wrong with me, even though I don't live in a high-rise.  This week is such a time.  Even though things are going well, I'm bouncing through day after day in this aggressive, always-on way demanded by the circumstances.

That is, nothing is really wrong with me, but listening to music about the mountains and cabins in the morning and old guitars and sad love and happy love is important to reinforce in myself that there are much more basic things that I need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home