Item (missing): microwave oven
Anyone who reads this blog on a regular basis should know that I'm probably going to say something about not having a microwave because of being anti-quick packaged food and the pace of modern life, plus I'm not convinced that there aren't some potentially bad health effects to it.
All this is true, but the truth is, microwave food makes me feel a little queasy. It's something about too much plastic, maybe. The sight, and the smell, of the plastic on a microwave dinner being peeled back just turns my stomach.
Occasionally, I think it would be nice to have a microwave when I'm heating up water for hot chocolate, or chai or tea. But even then, it doesn't taste the same. I guess not everyone notices the difference in hot water, but I do.
I don't mean this to sound superior - there's only so much time and energy a person has in a day, and we allot each in the ways that allow us to get by. But it's been my experience that none of the truly good things in life - including food - happen at the speed of "zap."
Tonight I made a pizza with herb dough, sausage and yellow peppers, and crispy chow mein noodles (a last-minute whim). Again, not trying to sound superior - and I have no reason to, because the noodles didn't quite work, but it was a fun experiment. There were some really scrumptious-looking recipes in the LA Times food section today. This section, which comes out on Wednesdays, is such a temptation to me. Sometime I'm going to take a week of vacation where I spend the mornings doing something outside, the afternoons reading, and the evenings trying new recipes, or some variation on that schedule. Instead of buying plane tickets, I could just spend the entire vacation budget on food.
All this is true, but the truth is, microwave food makes me feel a little queasy. It's something about too much plastic, maybe. The sight, and the smell, of the plastic on a microwave dinner being peeled back just turns my stomach.
Occasionally, I think it would be nice to have a microwave when I'm heating up water for hot chocolate, or chai or tea. But even then, it doesn't taste the same. I guess not everyone notices the difference in hot water, but I do.
I don't mean this to sound superior - there's only so much time and energy a person has in a day, and we allot each in the ways that allow us to get by. But it's been my experience that none of the truly good things in life - including food - happen at the speed of "zap."
Tonight I made a pizza with herb dough, sausage and yellow peppers, and crispy chow mein noodles (a last-minute whim). Again, not trying to sound superior - and I have no reason to, because the noodles didn't quite work, but it was a fun experiment. There were some really scrumptious-looking recipes in the LA Times food section today. This section, which comes out on Wednesdays, is such a temptation to me. Sometime I'm going to take a week of vacation where I spend the mornings doing something outside, the afternoons reading, and the evenings trying new recipes, or some variation on that schedule. Instead of buying plane tickets, I could just spend the entire vacation budget on food.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home