07 August 2006

Item (missing): air conditioner

Still tired, and hence also kind of crabby.  In the spirit of contrariness, I will be writing this week about things that I don't have.

My place doesn't have an air conditioner, but I didn't think I needed one.  That's because I don't need one.  I actually like being a little hot in the summer and cold in the winter, and there's no need to expend so much energy for indoor climate control when you live in a Mediterranean climate.

Only that shot of insane heat and humidity about 2 weeks ago made me wonder if I had erred in judgment.  The place seemed to trap heat - it was like walking into an oven, and it was hard to get any sleep.  I half-wished for an air conditioner, but I knew it was only temporary.

Anyway, last week they started publishing stories about people being shocked by their triple-the-usual electric bills from July.  My bill, which I just got, is... US $11.46.

On another topic, thinking about the teenage girl/bad boy attachment I wrote about a couple days ago, I believe I was imprecise with the words I used.  I referred to "troubled boy" and "bad boy" as if they were the same thing.  There is a lot of overlap between these groups, I think, but the first doesn't necessarily entail the second.  Being troubled is a state of mind; being bad is an action.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home