13 August 2006

Item (missing): DVD player

I guess I do technically have a DVD player - the one on this computer - but it doesn't have great sound or screen resolution, so it's not ideal for entertainment use.  I have the impression that the DVD player - as a part of the entertainment-related electronics suite - is a no-brainer item for most Americans, and by now they're getting correspondingly cheap.

The Netflix arrangement seems to be standard now too.  This was a brilliant idea on somebody's part:  it provides total wish fulfillment at a low price, and they take care of all the sending and returning for you.  I've often thought that picking your own movie list sounds like fun, plus then you only have to see what seems worthwhile and never mind the rest.  It's mostly thinking about adding another thing to my schedule that discourages me from it.  I can't justify taking 2 hours every few weeks to watch a movie of my own choosing because...it doesn't seem productive enough.  And perhaps therein lies a problem.

There was an article in the LA Times this morning by Joe Robinson about what he called OCP: Obsessive-Compulsive Productivity, or "a frantic fixation to wring results from every minute of the day."  This means that people are burned out, stressed out, worn out, and so forth.  Any activity has to be evaluated for its value added.  Being able to say "I've seen Movie X" isn't that important to me, but the question "Would I enjoy Movie X?" I seem to have forgotten to ask.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home