Item: 1 white kitchen table
This table was part of the same set as the chairs I wrote about earlier, but unlike the chairs it has never had problems with stability. I guess a table is not as complicated to put together correctly: it's just a flat top and 4 legs.
This kitchen table also functions as my desk, which is not how I would ideally have it. I'd rather have food and writing take place in separate places. But there isn't any place in the house that a desk would fit - unless, maybe, I got rid of the tv - hmm. So this is how it is for now, and it isn't a bad thing either, having a roomy table in front of a window that looks out onto a tree.
And I like having a lot of writing-related stuff sitting out - articles to read, things I'm thinking about or planning to write about, things I need to do some research on. As the year is winding down, I'm thinking about the blog and what it's been like to sit at this table doing it.
To speak honestly, I'm completely bored with writing so much about myself. I know this may be difficult to believe given such a fascinating topic, but it is starting to feel confining. I'm reminded of a Grace Paley line: "When you find only yourself interesting, you're boring." I don't think that, when I started out, I thought I could do something freeform, with no structure to it, and even though I'm tired of the structure, I'm sticking with it until the end because I'm stubborn like that. The other thing I'm thinking about is that I'm really missing doing fiction.
I haven't decided yet what to do when the year ends. I could say, now that I've gotten in the habit of writing every night, that I don't need a blog anymore and I can just work on longer pieces. Or, I could say that I love having my own daily forum so much that I can't give it up. Most likely, it will be something in between, and I've got a few ideas about what that might be. If you've got any suggestions, feel free to pass them along.
This kitchen table also functions as my desk, which is not how I would ideally have it. I'd rather have food and writing take place in separate places. But there isn't any place in the house that a desk would fit - unless, maybe, I got rid of the tv - hmm. So this is how it is for now, and it isn't a bad thing either, having a roomy table in front of a window that looks out onto a tree.
And I like having a lot of writing-related stuff sitting out - articles to read, things I'm thinking about or planning to write about, things I need to do some research on. As the year is winding down, I'm thinking about the blog and what it's been like to sit at this table doing it.
To speak honestly, I'm completely bored with writing so much about myself. I know this may be difficult to believe given such a fascinating topic, but it is starting to feel confining. I'm reminded of a Grace Paley line: "When you find only yourself interesting, you're boring." I don't think that, when I started out, I thought I could do something freeform, with no structure to it, and even though I'm tired of the structure, I'm sticking with it until the end because I'm stubborn like that. The other thing I'm thinking about is that I'm really missing doing fiction.
I haven't decided yet what to do when the year ends. I could say, now that I've gotten in the habit of writing every night, that I don't need a blog anymore and I can just work on longer pieces. Or, I could say that I love having my own daily forum so much that I can't give it up. Most likely, it will be something in between, and I've got a few ideas about what that might be. If you've got any suggestions, feel free to pass them along.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home