15 November 2006

Item: 1 CD - The Concert in Central Park, by Simon & Garfunkel

Live albums usually aren't my favorites, but this one manages to be really good musically without all the applause getting in the way.  I don't say this about many albums, but there isn't a weak point on it.

The concert that's recorded here took place on September 19, 1981, and, I'm guessing, was mostly attended by the children of the 60s, reunited for a night with their music and each other.  There's that feel about it, which I sense and understand even though that wasn't my era.

For me, this album will forever be associated with a day driving in Mexico.  I remember who I was with and why we were in Mexico, but I don't remember why we would have been driving for so long out away from the city.  Were we lost?  It was all green, hill after hill, with small residences scattered here and there.  I had gone way, way back in time, to times I knew about dimly because they were in my blood, but now was part of, in the flesh.

So I was packed into the back seat of a Jeep Grand Wagoneer, the old kind with the wood-grain panels on the doors, curving across open lands and open roads, while this album was playing.  I had left my country, but these words seemed to tell me what I was doing there:  I've come to look for America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home