21 August 2006

Item: 1 pan of creamed chicken & biscuits

Yuck. Here's an example of a recipe gone wrong.  It was on one of these sample cards that came in the mail as an enticement for buying a cookbook, and it looked really good in the picture.  It's a sort of creamy chicken casserole topped with biscuits and cheese.  You serve it upside down so that the biscuits are on the bottom - kind of like biscuits and gravy, only not nearly as good.

I wasn't planning on making this recipe tonight.  I was planning on making it next week, but I stopped at the store on my way back from, um, Santa Monica where I was looking for a hat that they no longer had.  Anyway, once I had all the ingredients and got home and realized that I had to make dinner anyway, I decided I might as well try it now.

I know I've thought a few times about making this for guests, but I'm really glad I didn't.  Despite having a nice turkey-dinner smell coming out of the oven, all I can taste eating it is the cream of chicken soup that was part of the base.  I bet if I made my own sauce it would be better.

I don't need to bother writing notes in the cookbook about why it's bad this time; I can just throw the card away.  I have about 5 more servings of this left.  It is edible, just not good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home