22 December 2006

Item: 1 CD - It's Christmas Time, by Elvis Presley

Well, nobody can sing "Blue Christmas" like Elvis.  There's just over a week left in the year, and at some point you realize it's going to end whether all the loose ends are wrapped up or not.  Why it seems important that everything be taken care of before this happens, I don't know, but it does.

People can start acting crazy this time of year, throwing temper tantrums in the parking lot or weeping into the soup.  There's so much you have to do, fulfill, produce, create during this season, and yet it's also kind of like having to drift in a current of parties, memories, families, songs, losses, gifts, glitter where you have no means of navigation.  And knowing all along you're supposed to be enjoying it.

I actually have enjoyed this year.  I've learned over the years how to forestall any tendencies I might have towards holiday insanity, but it's madness all the same to think I could ever have it all my own way.  Christmas is something that happens to you, ready or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home