16 December 2006

Item: 1 academic transcript

I had to produce a college transcript back in grad school when I was applying for a teaching position, and here it still is in my teaching portfolio.  I look over it and think good for me, completing semesters, earning a good GPA.  What I see is not stellar academic achievement; what I see is me being a responsible person.  This is a label that I probably got very early in life, but I've embraced it.  No matter how much I complain about the burdens put on me by other people's irresponsibility, I take pride in being the responsible one.  I sometimes wonder how much of my success in school was due to my character as a responsible person, and how much was due to actual ability.  Like many things, they don't separate easily.

I'm becoming quite the slacker on this blog.  I skipped last night and could not avoid feeling somewhat bad about it, but I could also accept that I had fallen somewhere short of perfection.  As I was starting out, I absolutely could not let myself skip because that would have defeated the whole purpose.  But now, with 2 weeks left, my standards have started to slide a little.  The main reason I could convince myself that it was okay to miss a day (besides being tired) was that it was after midnight when I got home, which meant that to get one in for the day I would have had to switch the date on Blogger back to yesterday's date, which also felt wrong.  What was the right thing to do?  These are the sort of conundrums you face as a responsible person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home