27 July 2006

Item: 1 Motorola cellular phone

Starting yesterday, I believe, we have 11-digit dialing.  If I want to make local calls from my 310 location, I now need to dial 1 plus the area code.  This is because there is an "overlay" coming up, and about a month from now they will start issuing new phone numbers with 424 area codes.

As this LA Times editorial points out, in most things newer is better, but that is not the case here.  The only reason they're not going the reasonable way and splitting the area is that nobody wanted to give up 310.  310 means something; 424 doesn't.  According to the same article, "there is no hipper code than 310."

Even though it's silly, the thought has crossed my mind that I better not move again, or I'll lose my 310.  Anyway, the main point is that this new dialing stuff requires reprogramming the numbers in stored my phone to include the extra digits.  How hip am I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home