Item: 1 small wooden jewelry box
This is a small box with rounded edges, that can fit a couple of bracelets in it. I got it when I was in 7th grade from the person who had happened to draw my name in the holiday gift exchange in my English class, who was this boy named Todd. I'm guessing it was something he made in wood shop class.
It's a really nice little box, yet another example of a great gift that cost hardly anything. I don't think at the time I was very grateful, though. I kind of wanted to pretend it didn't exist. It wasn't from anyone cool, nor was it anything trendy that would gain me points with the cool people, so it didn't rate highly with me. Besides, I think I was embarrassed by it, afraid that someone might think I liked him or he liked me, but he didn't seem to be afflicted by this and acted like a normal person participating in a gift exchange.
This is what seems remarkable about it now: he didn't have the same attitude as I did. Just because I wasn't anyone cool didn't mean I wasn't worth giving something nice to. I don't think that was because he wasn't going through the same junior-high pains as I was, I just think they hadn't screwed up his values quite so badly as they had mine.
It's a really nice little box, yet another example of a great gift that cost hardly anything. I don't think at the time I was very grateful, though. I kind of wanted to pretend it didn't exist. It wasn't from anyone cool, nor was it anything trendy that would gain me points with the cool people, so it didn't rate highly with me. Besides, I think I was embarrassed by it, afraid that someone might think I liked him or he liked me, but he didn't seem to be afflicted by this and acted like a normal person participating in a gift exchange.
This is what seems remarkable about it now: he didn't have the same attitude as I did. Just because I wasn't anyone cool didn't mean I wasn't worth giving something nice to. I don't think that was because he wasn't going through the same junior-high pains as I was, I just think they hadn't screwed up his values quite so badly as they had mine.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home