26 July 2006

Item: 1 2002 Rand McNally US Road Atlas

If there's any 1 of my possessions that can keep me enthralled for hours, it's this.  I've already confessed to reading travel guides like books, and I can do something similar with an atlas.

Because I think curling up with maps is a good way to spend time, I've absorbed an innate geographical knowledge about a lot of places, where things are and what they're like (although, sadly, still not much sense of direction).  You can, in fact, tell a lot about a landscape by how far apart the towns are, what the towns are called, and the shapes that the roads take.

This atlas is a large-scale one, spiral-bound, and has been on a number of trips.  It's useful, of course, for actually finding one's way in places, and for planning trips, be they actual or imaginary.  I can also use it to find, at random, the name of a town in the index in the back, then look it up on the map, then figure out how to get there, and by then I'm already immersed in a story that starts with my first hour in a place I know nothing about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home