12 July 2006

6 Things That Have Been on My To-Do List For Over a Month

  1. Switch doctors
  2. Make haircut appointment
  3. Call various friends
  4. Figure out how to put blog description on sidebar of website
  5. Buy bike
  6. Look for washer/dryers
I make lists continuously; for obvious reasons they impose a sort of order on things. I don't worry so much about forgetting to do something if it's part of a list. If it's something multifaceted like planning a trip, it helps to break it down into steps. The same is true for anything that seems to be too big to handle.

It isn't just me, either.  Magazines have been doing this for a long time: 10 Best Pizza Joints in New York, 5 Simple Ways to Tone Your Abs, etc.

Lists are a way of life - Christmas lists, grocery lists, life goals, books to read, hit lists.  The trouble with me is that I never seem to get finished with any of them.  If I have 'clean house' on a to-do list, like I often do, I am likely to start cleaning but not to finish before I make a new list.  Weirdly, I'm not as interested in crossing things off an old list as I am in coming up with a new one that leaves off the old things and looks ahead.  I rarely complete a list, which is why I have so many of them lying around cluttering up the place.

But lists, in their own way, make great reading, which is why I think this is a super-cool idea for a blog.  I might even send in 1 of mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home