03 June 2006

Item: 1 CD - Music from Gilmore Girls

This is the 1 television show that I watch, discovered one time when I was sick at home and they showed a few episodes in a row.  I think it's the quintessential girl show, but more on this another time.  The reason for mentioning it today is that June 3 was the original date set by Luke and Lorelai for their wedding, and anyone who has seen the later episodes in the season knows that this wedding will not actually be taking place on that date.

Weird, isn't it, that this could seem like a significant fact about today.  But I know what it's like to not be doing on a certain date the thing that was intended for that date.  There's a definite feeling associated with this, even if it's about something mundane like a change of travel plans.  The original idea having gotten knocked out of the water leaves all this open space, this suspension in new time units.  Even if a person considers that a good thing, it's still hard for anything that fills the space to seem quite legitimate when the day on the calendar comes and goes without its signature event.

Lorelai and Luke are the couple that take years to get together, while everyone is rooting for this and just waiting for it to happen.  I still feel that way about them, but I also can see there's been a lot of hurt laid down between them over the last few months.  If they were my friends, I'd be starting to have second thoughts.  The show has always felt like it's designed to build toward a beautiful wedding at the end (I told you it was a girl show).  It still could, but a lot would have to happen between now and then.  What would have to happen would be what's usually called "working on it."  I'm in favor of that, but it's not the sort of thing that's any fun to watch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home