Item: 1 5 1/2 x 4-inch notebook
If I didn't keep all of my old journals, I wouldn't be able to look and see what I was doing at this time 7 years ago, which was wrapping up my MFA program and trying to figure out what I was going to do next. This particular journal I think must have been on sale for some low price - it's labelled "Lil' Fat Book" and has an obnoxious triangular blue, yellow, and orange design on the cover. The pages were actually too small for it to be a really good journal. You wouldn't think things like page size and line length would make such a big difference in how a person writes, but they do.
Anyway, this journal opens in March 1999 with a list of my problems, beginning with:
1. My thesis is due in 19 days.
and ending with:
7. I still have no valuable job skills.
8. I am broke.
9. I have no direction for my life.
That time actually doesn't seem like it was that long ago, that 7 years could have passed. I may not have figured everything out but unquestionably I have much better ideas about what I want than I did at that time. I don't know how it happened, but I'm glad it did.
It reminds me of a line from Victor Hugo which I also wrote down in this journal (and which I cannot verify but I'm guessing is from Les Miserables since I was reading it the following summer): Gradualness is the whole policy of God.
You're still wondering what 2 through 6 were, aren't you!?!!
Anyway, this journal opens in March 1999 with a list of my problems, beginning with:
1. My thesis is due in 19 days.
and ending with:
7. I still have no valuable job skills.
8. I am broke.
9. I have no direction for my life.
That time actually doesn't seem like it was that long ago, that 7 years could have passed. I may not have figured everything out but unquestionably I have much better ideas about what I want than I did at that time. I don't know how it happened, but I'm glad it did.
It reminds me of a line from Victor Hugo which I also wrote down in this journal (and which I cannot verify but I'm guessing is from Les Miserables since I was reading it the following summer): Gradualness is the whole policy of God.
You're still wondering what 2 through 6 were, aren't you!?!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home