11 April 2006

Item: 1 earthquake informational booklet

This is the Spring 2006 edition of a booklet called Putting down Roots in Earthquake Country.  This makes it sound like such an adventurous thing to do, like we were settlers building homesteads here in the wild west, but I guess in a way we are.

The booklet is actually very good - it was included in Sunday's paper, and I'm glad they distribute such a publication.  It's 31 pages long, but I'd rather have them give too much information than not enough.  It's a good example of easily accessible public information that's not dumb.  I've learned a few things from it.   For example, although the San Andreas is the largest fault in California, almost all the earthquakes of our day have been on smaller faults.  There hasn't been a significant earthquake on the San Andreas since 1857.

And, not to disappoint anyone, but the future Arizona beachfront property thing is a myth; western California is actually moving the other way.  Here is what the booklet says about it: "The idea of California falling into the ocean has had an enduring appeal to those envious of life in the Golden State."  Tee hee.  Nice piece of local pride there.  Everybody knows they only say that because they're jealous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home