30 March 2006

Item: 1 Sunday Star-Times Magazine

Riffling through the newspapers I've gotten delivered outside my room through the week, I found last Sunday's issue of this magazine, which happened to be the fashion issue.  The intro proclaimed that the Bohemian look is dead and the new winter fashions are all about dark-toned attitude.  I was temporarily confused: new winter fashions? I've been mentally gearing up toward summer for awhile.  But of course, here in the southern hemisphere, it's the beginning of fall.

Even though I like the Bohemian look, I'm kind of intrigued with "winter's dark and womanly mood swing" as depicted in the pages, where they're showing a lot of really cool expensive black outfits.  Here's what Editor Emily Simpson says about it: "The lovely, light-hearted flower child who has ruled fashion for what seems like years is finally dead.  In the hippie's place, it would seem, is a much darker proposition: a mature student with a bad case of PMS on her way to a postgraduate university lecture...dark, cynical, always storming around and nursing a glass-half full of resentments."  I wonder if this is trend is coming to the US, too, because that's a look I might actually be able to pull off.

Yesterday I was introduced to a New Zealand treat called a Cadbury Pinky, which is a candy bar made of marshmallow and chocolate.  The marshmallow is pink.  Basically I ate an insane amount of sugar -- in the spirit of global cooperation and understanding, of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home