15 March 2006

Item: 1 CD - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits

This evening has completely flown by.  I've been in and out a couple of times, and am finally done with errands and at last have a moment to sit down.  Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers are now playing.  I got this CD either free or for a very low price, as part of one of those Columbia House deals they used to have where if you joined you got to pick 12 albums as a bonus.  Even better, if you could get a friend to join you both got more bonus picks at low prices.  I can't think of any other scenario where I would buy 12 CDs at once.

Anyway, I've had this since around '95 or so, long enough for almost all of the songs on it to have associations with something or other.  I think my favorite song on the album is "Even the Losers," which tells a great story - kind of a similar story to a lot of 80s teen movies, which is probably why I like it.

A lot of these songs make me want to drive, or go off and do something crazy.  So many of them emphasize the movement into the unknown in life: "Runnin' Down a Dream," "Learning to Fly," "Into the Great Wide Open."  I don't even care if these are really full of drug references; what they're expressing remains true.  Coming down is the hardest thing.

I may need to update my CD collection, since some TP songs that I like a lot aren't on this album, like "It's Good to Be King," and "Walls," and "You Don't Know How It Feels."   Plus, "Yer So Bad," which is fun for the title alone.  So I just checked the Columbia House website again, and they actually still do still offer 12 CDs for the price of 1.  Temptation.  Of course, I could always just get with the program and take up this whole music-downloading thing.  I wonder which is the better deal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home