14 March 2006

Item: 1 local advertising supplement

It would be interesting to know the history of zoning and development around here.  I'm continually noticing the random assortment of the things I pass on the way down the street to and from the office every day.  To elaborate, there is at least 1 of each of the following:

  • pizza place
  • car wash
  • laundromat
  • Department of Motor Vehicles
  • Orthodox bookstore
  • Mexican restaurant
  • Hawaiian restaurant
  • auto parts store
  • tire dealer
  • martial arts studio
  • gun store
  • park
  • dentist
  • liquor store
  • church
  • Indian grocery
  • chiropractor
  • motel
  • mosque
  • shoe store
  • counselor
  • donut place
  • hair salon
  • deserted building
  • hardware store
  • gas station
  • apartment building
  • bank
  • day care center
  • car dealership
  • coffee place

No stretch of this road is at all scenic or nicely designed, but surprisingly, I've developed an affection for it already.  There's something really nice about the fact that it is just kind of thrown together like that.  If the word "organic" can be applied to a city street, that's what it feels like.  Things happen where they happen.  You could find a lot of these same places on a suburban street, but I notice a disheartening decrease of interest when everything is meant to look the same, and succeeds.

If you keep going past my house, there's also a chocolatier, an instrument rental place, and a place that's advertising strudels.  The one thing that would improve the boulevard is having more people walking up and down the sidewalk going to these places.  Oops, sorry, I forgot for a second that I lived in LA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home