06 April 2006

Item: 1 bag of diced onions

Good cooking night tonight...I try to make a real dinner at least every once awhile.  It was spicy pork which was ever so slightly overdone so as to be crispy and therefore just right, along with green beans au gratin.

My Fannie Farmer cookbook instructed me that to make a good smooth cheese sauce you should have the milk hot before adding it to the rest of the ingredients, and this turned out to be absolutely correct.  I can't believe no one ever told me that before.  To think of all the time I've spent trying to stir out lumps.

In other food news, I decided to buy a bag of diced onion last night because it was cheaper than buying the actual onions.  I used some in an omelet this morning, though, and the chunks all being of a uniform shape and size gave the food kind of a depressing machine-made look, plus they didn't taste like anything.  I'll just buy the onions and chop them myself from now on, but it seems wrong that I should have to pay more to do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home