Item: 1 CD - Music from the Malcolm X Motion Picture Soundtrack
Director Spike Lee writes in the liner notes that all the songs on this CD "in some way reflect what it means to live, breathe, die and love, as the descendants of slaves."
This is what I have been thinking about today. I know that Malcolm X and Martin Luther King, Jr. were not exactly buddies, so it's probably strange to be bringing up this CD at all. I've been trying to write this post for about an hour now, and I'm not sure what my intention even was to start out with, except a note of respect for the multifaceted and longstanding struggles of a group of fellow Americans.
I am fortunate in the time and place in which I happened to be born for many reasons, not least of which is that I've worked with, eaten in restaurants with, ridden public transportation next to, and attended classes with African Americans without it being anything out of the ordinary. Let freedom ring.
This is what I have been thinking about today. I know that Malcolm X and Martin Luther King, Jr. were not exactly buddies, so it's probably strange to be bringing up this CD at all. I've been trying to write this post for about an hour now, and I'm not sure what my intention even was to start out with, except a note of respect for the multifaceted and longstanding struggles of a group of fellow Americans.
I am fortunate in the time and place in which I happened to be born for many reasons, not least of which is that I've worked with, eaten in restaurants with, ridden public transportation next to, and attended classes with African Americans without it being anything out of the ordinary. Let freedom ring.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home