09 January 2006

Item: 1 cheval glass mirror

When I was young and looked through Sears catalogs for amusement, I liked these mirrors, and always had one on my list of fantasy home decorations. I received this one from my parents for my graduation from college in 1992. When I went into my room, it was there with a "Congratulations Karen" sign on it. I like it because it is one of those simple designs that doesn't change much, or need to. Something like this might have been been standing in the room of a girl a hundred years ago.

This is another thing I have carried with me to the various places I've lived (amazing that it hasn't broken), and another thing that people often compliment. I have always called it a "cheval glass mirror," after the catalog description, but tonight it occurred to me to wonder what 'cheval' meant. Turns out that it means a full-length mirror that can swing in a frame.

Talking of mirrors, or paying attention to one, is likely to lead me into a good hard look at myself and the direction I'm going in life, etc. Right now I would rather be drawn into the past, imagining some 1906 girl in a frilly dress, since the current state of affairs is frazzling. More on this tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home