13 January 2006

Item: 1 California license plate

This is one of the old blue and gold license plates -- slightly bent, but in pretty good shape still. This is the license plate from my first car, an '85 Mitsubishi Tredia. I know that many people find amusement in how attached a Californian can be to a car, but to me it's only natural.

That Mitsubishi gave me a life. I went to Mexico 3 or 4 times, up and down the coast from Santa Barbara to San Diego many times. I went camping up at Santa Cruz in it; I took it back and forth from school with everything from my dorm room in it. It could fit 4 other people, and it took us to ordinary little destinations like Häagen-Dazs or Giovanni's or the Summerland Beach Cafe. I took with me to Iowa when I moved, and drove in snow for the first time in it.

I acknowledge that all cars have to go sometime, but I still feel sad and horrible about dumping it (see earlier entry on Christmas tree). This is a car that gave me the best of itself. I'm pretty sure it witnessed the entire range of emotions -- I know I sat and cried in it, and I know I harmonized with chick songs in it, driving down the road.

I think it's more strange that some people don't feel anything for their cars, but then not all cars are that likeable. Some are just plain boring, some persnickety, but some understand essentially what it is you're trying to do, and help you get there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home