Item: 8 cardboard boxes
It's happening again. I am doing a reckoning of boxes I have available, and I'll need many more in the coming weeks because I'm going to move. Again. This is just a short-distance move, but it will become all-consuming anyway, I'm sure. The 8 is just a remnant of the proud collection I once had, but you always need a few on hand, I've done this enough to recognize a good box when I see one.
For all my talk of adventure and the thrill of upheaval and fear of stagnating in life, I lost a lot of sleep last night feeling sorry and scared of leaving.
How does it happen that a human being becomes so involved in a familiar place, regardless of what kind of place it happens to be? I have this sense that I am a person who drives down this road, goes in this door, gets her silverware out of this drawer. A person can feel lost, as I did last night, when she's separated from these things and has to go floundering around someplace else.
This seems rather like a small-scale version of the stumbling feeling that comes when it's a person who's not there anymore. It reminds me of a line from "Little Rock," an old country song by Collin Raye: without you, baby I'm not me. I take cues from the people around me, bounce off of them, respond to them, and in getting used to a person I become familiar with those ways of being me. It's hard to feel like myself when there's no one around who knows me, and I can't slide into the patterns that have become what I do.
I've been fixated on the question of to move or not to move for several days now, but here's hoping that I can turn my attention back to the rest of the world, which will move on.
For all my talk of adventure and the thrill of upheaval and fear of stagnating in life, I lost a lot of sleep last night feeling sorry and scared of leaving.
How does it happen that a human being becomes so involved in a familiar place, regardless of what kind of place it happens to be? I have this sense that I am a person who drives down this road, goes in this door, gets her silverware out of this drawer. A person can feel lost, as I did last night, when she's separated from these things and has to go floundering around someplace else.
This seems rather like a small-scale version of the stumbling feeling that comes when it's a person who's not there anymore. It reminds me of a line from "Little Rock," an old country song by Collin Raye: without you, baby I'm not me. I take cues from the people around me, bounce off of them, respond to them, and in getting used to a person I become familiar with those ways of being me. It's hard to feel like myself when there's no one around who knows me, and I can't slide into the patterns that have become what I do.
I've been fixated on the question of to move or not to move for several days now, but here's hoping that I can turn my attention back to the rest of the world, which will move on.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home