21 October 2006

Item: 1 original piece of artwork

This painting is called "Night Fall" and is a rendering of the prairie landscape when it's almost dark, which was always, I thought, the most breathtaking time:  not just in color, but in sound, and smell, and particular atmosphere.  It's clearly the work of a local because the picture has much of that in it.  I bought this in the art gallery in Amana, Iowa.  This picture was always my favorite when I lived in Iowa, and if I was in Amana I'd go in and check to see if it was still there.  But I didn't buy it then.

I bought it after I moved to Washington, DC, the first time I was back in Iowa.  As was the custom, I went in to see if it was still there, thinking it probably wasn't, because now, suddenly, I felt like I needed it.  But it was still there, and I wasn't about to take any more chances.  I had a conversation with the person in the store about how about how I had always liked it and how I was sad that I didn't live in Iowa anymore, and she lowered the price.  I might have taken such things for granted when I lived there, but I never would again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home