06 June 2006

Item: 1 "I Voted" sticker

2 things jumped out at me when I was going over my voting materials last night.  The first was to wonder how they decide who gets to put in the short arguments and rebuttals that are printed in the state's Official Voter Information Guide.

The "Con" argument included against Proposition 81, which is a bond measure to be used for public library facilities and reading and literacy programs, is this:
Free spending politicians have misspent our money.  We should not spend $9 billion a year on welfare for illegal aliens, and then borrow money for libraries.  A no vote forces free spending politicians to cut welfare for illegal aliens to pay for our libraries.  Vote No on Proposition 81.
This blurb was submitted by the California Taxpayer Protection Committee.  But say there are several different groups all in favor of or against a measure.  Who decides which one gets to put in the printed statement?   I suspect that the answer has to do with money, but I wonder how this works.

The other thing I noticed was that there's a guy named John Lower Taxes Loew running for Assessor of Los Angeles County.  I thought there must be some quotation marks missing there, but his middle name really is Lower Taxes.  He's currently the Deputy County Assessor, and apparently wanted to tell the voters what he stood for but couldn't afford to pay for the printed statement.  From what I've read, he isn't the first politician to do something like this, either.  We'll see if it pays off (no pun intended).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home