21 January 2006

Item: 2 folding stacking bookshelves

I bought these at a store called Hold Everything in Friendship Heights in 1998, but I bought them one at a time. I had just moved into a new place and bought a bookshelf so I could finish my unpacking.

"These are two for $100," they said.

"No thanks," I said, "I only need one."

When I got home and started arranging the books in the new shelf, it was clear that it was nowhere near sufficient for my book-shelving needs. I went back to the store and picked up another one, and, without my even asking, they gave me the price I would have gotten had I bought them together. I was making some expression of gratitude, but they were used to it.

"Don't worry about it," they said. "Everyone comes back for the second one."

If I didn't have so many books, I would probably be almost done packing by now. This move could be a breeze. But what would be the point of living somewhere that didn't have books? John Steinbeck commented once that he had moved around so much he didn't have a sense of where home was, other than the place where the books were kept.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home