25 January 2006

Item: 1 bag of Doritos cool ranch chips

I guess this reveals me as a sometime consumer of junk food. I discovered once, quite by accident, that Doritos (any flavor) are really good in soup. For dinner tonight I had chicken tortilla soup with Doritos in it.

So I go through the various grocery aisles, checking the ingredients for sugar content, doing comparison studies and picking up the most wholesome and close-to-the-origin things I can find, and then top it all off with a bag of chips that you can buy at any 7-11.

If I eat 90% real food and 10% chemical filler, what does that make me? It makes me feel, anyway, like a lucky American.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear KL - I feel it necessary to comment on the Doritos essay and the excellent perspective it lends. It seems that the question in question, namely, "...what does it make me?" is, in fact, more than a simple inquiry regarding grocery store habits. The same could be asked of the content of the books we read (or the combination of books, newspapers, magazines, Internet sites, etc. I wonder what other spheres could be similarly queried. For example, if I spend 90% of my time with aliens and 10% of my time with Elvis, what does that say about me, as a person?

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home