28 April 2006

Item: 1 Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees (Western Region)

When I was in New Zealand earlier this month, we were walking in the woods and the tour guide mentioned that none of the trees around were native trees.  They did, however, have a plan to slowly take them all out and re-populate the area with the kinds of trees that were there originally.  It was something like a 400-year plan, so none of the people who were planning it would get to benefit from it.

With trees, you have to think in long stretches of time.  Maybe that's why they inspire such respect - they represent age and strength which dwarfs yours or mine.  Trees are one of my favorite favorite things, even if I can't identify what the tree is that's outside the kitchen window.  Happy Arbor Day!

Also, thanks to the reader who pointed out this excellent article on local food.  It's like the kind of thing I'm always talking about right before someone tells me I'm being unrealistic.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home